Bathroom renovations can take a lot of time and commitment to finish and do properly. For this reason, going for a simple bathroom renovation might be more suitable, and in the long run easy, for you to plan.
You will find that the typical cost of complete bathroom renovations will vary widely depending on how involved your plan is. However, you can do it for far less – a couple of thousand at most – with the caveat that you’ll be mostly making cosmetic changes.
If you intend on getting any more detailed then you will have to be prepared to shell out – it’s just a fact with any home renovation project. The more high-end you go, the more it will cost you. This includes making any major structural changes, moving the plumbing, adding or replacing walls and floor tiles.
Like any other element of your home improvement project, complete bathroom renovations require a lot of planning. You’ll be doing everything from improving structural quality to adding new features and this means that the cost and time of even a simple bathroom remodeling can be tricky to work out.
How Long Does a Bathroom Renovation Take?
Typically, a bathroom renovation could take as long as eight weeks for planning and three to four weeks of actual building time. This takes into account everything from the selection and purchasing of materials, dealing with any unforeseen issues, and of course finding a good design.
It’s highly likely that you’ll need to engage the services of quite a few tradesmen and contractors if you can’t do the job yourself.
From builders, architects, electricians, painters, plumbers, tilers and waterproofers – they are all required at some stage of the process to complete the bathroom renovations.
Trying to manage a bathroom build without all of these experts is a hard thing to do. Many of them, such as electricians, are necessary, as you need an accredited professional to sign off on the work in order for local government approval. Even simple bathroom renovations will require you use some of the contractors mentioned above.
One major piece of advice – ALWAYS ensure that anyone you do decide to hire is licensed, insured, experienced and trustworthy. Look for references and examples of their work, and if they can’t produce these then don’t hire them at all.
Lovingly shared from Pinterest
To view this image so that you can read the small print, click on it. This will open it in a new window. Click on it again there to enlarge it.
What Contractors Can Help Me With My Bathroom Renovations?
As mentioned before, you should expect to hire in some help during your bathroom renovation job. Even if you are capable of doing the work yourself, you still need some tradesmen to sign off on things like plumbing and electrics.
Failing to engage a certified professional could mean that in the event of a problem or accident you may not be fully covered by insurance. And this could prove to be a very costly mistake!
Typically, you’ll need to think about the practicality of the job as much as anything else. If you intend on doing even some basic fitting work or changing the layout of the bathroom, you should definitely work out who you’ll need to help you.
One of the best places to look for contractors are service provider websites such as:
All you have to do is enter your job description and within no time you get tradesmen sending you quotes for the work. It’s that easy.
Top 8 Contractors to Hire For Bathroom Renovations
- Builder – a builder will help you do everything from start to finish but they tend to be on the expensive side as they literally manage the whole process. If you don’t mind running around and doing some of the work yourself then you can quickly save a fair chunk of money. But if you’d rather not get your hands dirty and have the cash to burn, then hiring a builder is your best bet, as they’ll manage everything for you.
- Architect – to help you design the plans and layout for your bathroom, and to make sure everything fits into the space you have.
- Carpenter – helps build the cabinets and storage space in the bathroom, making it look as professional as possible.
- Electrician – for handling everything from the lighting and power to heating and ventilation.
- Painters – to help you get the place looking wonderful when you are finished with the building and design work.
- Plumbers – handle anything that involves water, making sure that bathroom fixtures, bath, shower and toilet are all working and flowing smoothly.
- Tilers – a vital part of the process. They help you make sure that everything from drain management to overall quality of design is just right.
- Waterproofer – to make sure that the place stays nice and dry after you go for a shower, for example.
Planning the Cost of a Bathroom Renovation Upfront Will Save You Money
As I said earlier, your bathroom renovation could end up costing you as much as five figures. Why? Because you’ll have to:
- Pay all the tradesmen listed above. Often they can charge you hundreds for even the simplest jobs so it’s worth it to plan ahead.
- Pay for the work to be managed. This means having to get the right order of tradesman in, or jobs will have to be done over again as people overlap each other. You can either do this yourself or hire someone like a builder to do it for you.
- Organize the materials and the products to be ordered, delivered and fitted. It’s crucial to make sure you order all the materials in advance of the bathroom renovation. You will save yourself a lot of time and money that way.
- Work with a builder or planner to make sure you have a workable plan that everyone agrees to. This is a must if you want to make sure your bathroom renovations go off without a hitch.
- As you can see, there is plenty of upfront planning and work needed to guarantee a smooth running renovation project.
If you’re unsure of how to best plan out your bathroom renovations, then it’s a good idea to bite the bullet and pay for experts to help you. And remember to put aside plenty of planning time!
Bathroom Renovations: Wrapping up
As you can see, there’s a whole lot to be done with regards to bringing together a successful bathroom renovation project.
If you are trying to manage the process for even a small renovation you still should consider how to best go about doing this and plan accordingly.
Even simple bathroom renovations can take huge amounts of planning and preparation to get it to where you want it to be. But with the right amount of time, commitment, and planning, you’ll get there!
Enjoy your renovation.
All the best,
CHECK OUT THIS BLOG POST FOR MORE: How Much Does it Cost to Remodel a Bathroom?